Sep 28, 2017
4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
UNHI Co-working Space
Join us for the first Wildcatalyst Seminar of the academic year!
We could think of no one better to kick off the first seminar in our series “Launching (Research-Based) Start-Ups” than UNH’s own Dr. Wayne Jones, Jr., Dean of the UNH College of Engineering and Physical Sciences. In 2015, Dr. Jones co-founded ChromaNanoTech, LLC, a start-up company producing optical nanomaterials patented from his university research lab for use in energy, biomedical, and defense related applications. Dr. Jones will be joined by his co-founder Dr. William Bernier, ChromaNanoTech’s CEO and a 35-year industry veteran. Together they will talk about how their business venture took shape, and discuss the challenges they faced/lessons they learned while launching a successful business, specifically one based on university research-born intellectual property.
- Venture and grant funding
- Customer research
- Faculty founder lessons learned
- Finding the right co-founder/business partner
- Commercializing university IP (from the perspective of both the licensee and the licensor)
- And more!
Who should attend:
- Anyone interested in start-ups, early stage ventures, or curious how to convert an idea into something real
- Anyone interested in innovation and UNH research
- Industry professionals
- Students, faculty, and staff
- Seasoned business leaders who would like to meet the next generation of business leaders
- The entire NH community interested in supporting, promoting, and encouraging new companies to start and stay in NH
- All are welcome, but attendees must be 21+ to partake in the alcoholic beverages.